Your Home Is Important, Make Sure It’s Protected
You have to ask yourself…
What would happen if a disaster struck your home tomorrow? Are you confident you’re properly covered for damages and total loss? Would you be required to pay some or all the repairs out of pocket?
These questions are crucial to address, because you can’t get insurance after a disaster strikes—and that can happen at any time.
What is Home Insurance for?
Home insurance covers the hazards that most homeowners face— fire, wind damage, theft, even accidents on your property. When a loss occurs, you will file a claim with your insurance carrier and you are paid for covered expenses, minus any outstanding deductible amounts.
Insurance also covers personal liability exposures, to protect you from many situations that could lead to lawsuits from others.
For instance, if someone slips and falls in your home, or is injured somewhere on your property, you can be held responsible. Liability coverage is there to protect you.
Home insurance can also protect you for:
- Storm damage
- Dog bite liability (standard liability may not be enough if your dog bites someone or causes them to become injured, so consider your pets carefully)
- Manufactured home coverage
- Trampoline or swimming pool liability insurance
- Sewer or septic backups
- Replacement cost for personal property
- Recreational vehicles like boats, ATVs, or snowmobiles
- Scheduled valuables such as jewelry, hearing aids, guns, or art
When you see independent insurance agents at Mt. Pleasant Agency – Central Insurance, you have the chance to explore different options for insurance, and protect the things that are most important to you.
Little known facts about Homeowners Insurance
There are many things about insuring a home that most consumers aren’t aware of. We try to help you avoid potential problem areas, including:
- Most policies will not cover sewer back-up unless you purchase a special endorsement—it’s not expensive, but you won’t get it if you don’t ask for it
- Damages caused by surface water or water that flows below the surface of the ground aren’t usually covered.
- A standard homeowners policy typically does not include Flood Insurance
- A standard homeowners policy only covers jewelry up to set limits if the loss results from one of the perils named on the policy
- Many policies default to actual cash value (depreciated value) for personal property, which means if you purchased a widescreen TV and home theater system for $1,000, it may now only be worth $450, so that’s all you’ll receive on the claim. Just like the dwelling limit mentioned above, replacement cost insurance pays out the total replacement value of your possessions, not their market value, in the event of a claim.
- IMPORTANT: You can combine your Home and Auto policies (and others) for even more savings. Many carriers also offer additional discounts for Umbrella and Life Insurance.
What kinds of homes need insurance?
Most of the time, homeowners insurance is required by the lender providing a mortgage on your home, but it’s important to note that it’s worth insuring your home even if you don’t have a mortgage on it. If you decide to forego the insurance, you’re self-insuring the home and personally taking on the financial risk of losing it in a fire or other type of disaster. Here are just a few examples of the types of homes that we help to protect:
- Frame houses
- CBS homes (Concrete Block Structure)
- Manufactured homes
- Mobile homes on acreage
- Secondary homes
- Homes you rent to others
- Seasonal resident homes or cottages
- Vacant homes
- Even Mt. Pleasant and Michigan residents that rent should make sure they have the right kind of renters insurance in place.
The Mt. Pleasant Agency – Central Insurance Difference
You may think you want the cheapest insurance you can find, but realize you may not be getting everything you bargained for …
… While most insurance products are similar in price and function, insurance providers can be different when it comes to structuring a policy. So if you’re at all concerned for your financial well being, you should investigate what you are offered carefully, and consider a relationship with a reliable guide.
There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all insurance policy.
We’re your neighbors. We protect people we know and care about in Mt. Pleasant and throughout the state of Michigan, and that means we try to find ways to protect you better, including carefully choosing the insurance companies we represent to be both affordable and responsive.
CALL 989-772-2977 now and let the professionals at Mt. Pleasant Agency – Central Insurance help you forge the strongest shield possible to help you protect the things you care about most.